Corman was originally founded in 1920 as Corson & Gruman Co., a family-owned asphalt contractor in Washington, DC. The company started operating with an asphalt plant located on the Georgetown waterfront, under what is now the Whitehurst Freeway. As the region continued to grow and Georgetown changed from its original industrial waterfront character, our asphalt operations relocated to T St., NE in the District. In addition, Corson & Gruman Co. acquired asphalt plants in Northern Virginia and Prince George’s County, Maryland to supply paving operations in the suburban markets around DC.
In 1970, Corman Construction, Inc. was created as a utility contractor and a sister company to Corson & Gruman Co. It was in the 1980s when Corman branched out into the heavy civil road and bridge markets forming two divisions: Bridge and Utility. At this time, Corson & Gruman Co. was phased out of business and Corman’s offices relocated to the current corporate headquarters in Annapolis Junction, Maryland.
In the late 1990s, the remaining asphalt operations were sold and Corman exited the paving business, focusing exclusively on the heavy civil / utility market. In the mid-1990s, Corman started pursuing work in the central Virginia region. The success in this market eventually led to establishing a branch office near Petersburg, Virginia. As the Virginia market continued to expand in 2014, another branch office was opened in Chesapeake, Virginia to focus on the local Tidewater and North Carolina northeast region markets.
Corman’s marine division started in 1921 as Baltimore-based Martin G. Imbach, Co., a private marine contractor with a majority of their work in the Baltimore Harbor. Clients included US Army Corps of Engineers, Maryland Port Administration, Exxon, US Coast Guard, Dupont, and Bethlehem Steel.
After 80 years as a family-owned business, the firm was purchased in 2002 by Corman’s parent company, CG Enterprises. The new company was named Corman Imbach Marine and largely continued with Baltimore Harbor operations. Over time, Corman Imbach Marine was integrated into the Corman family, eventually being rebranded as Corman Marine Construction in 2009. In the past 16 years the marine group has expanded to include work in the greater Chesapeake Bay region and added mechanical dredging capabilities.
Currently, Corman operates in the mid-Atlantic region, with the following branch office locations in addition to our corporate Annapolis Junction office to cover Delaware, Maryland, Washington, DC, Virginia and parts of North Carolina:
Southern Division near Petersburg, VA which serves the Richmond and central/northern Virginia areas.
Tidewater Division in Chesapeake, VA focuses on projects from eastern North Carolina and the greater Norfolk-Hampton Roads metropolitan area, to west along the I-64 Peninsula of Virginia.
Marine Division in Baltimore, MD on Curtis Bay focusing on the Baltimore Harbor, Chesapeake Bay and Norfolk/Tidewater marine markets.
Transitioning into One Company: In February 2018, Corman Construction and Corman Marine Construction joined the Kokosing family of companies reorganizing as one company: Corman Kokosing Construction Company.
Where we are Today: Corman is well into its fourth generation as a family-owned company and constitutes one of the largest heavy construction contractors in the mid-Atlantic region. We continue to evolve as an industry leader specializing in highway, bridge, sewer, water, underground, tunnel, marine and dredging work.